Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Recipe Update: Amazing Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

This is my update to the previous posting from earlier this year.  You will see a bunch of new pictures at the end and some updated notes on the preparation of this recipe. 

Mushrooms Stuffed with Yumminess

There are some indulgences in life that are worth tossing aside all the reasons you shouldn't and simply enjoying what's in front of you.  One of those things for me are stuffed mushrooms, and over the years I've tried tons of different types of stuffed mushrooms.  From baked to fried, frozen store-bought to fresh handmade, there are more combinations of fillings and types of mushrooms than you could even begin to dream of. 

I was given this recipe when I hit up a former line cook of mine and asked him to share his recipe for the stuffed mushrooms he'd made at a dinner party I'd attended last year.  I was hoping to make these for my betrothed on our first Valentine's Day together.  He happily sent the recipe over my way without so much of a word as where it came from.  Only later did he admit to having gotten it from the larger than life personality that is Paula Deen. That said, it's a tremendous recipe and I'm happy to pass it around.

Without any further delay, here is one of the best stuffed mushroom recipes around:

Ingredients:

- 2 large Portobello mushroom caps (or 10 medium sized white mushroom caps)
- 1 cup crabmeat
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- House Seasoning (mixture of 1/4 cup salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon garlic powder)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

In the meantime combine the crabmeat, cream cheese, parsley, green onions and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and season with the House Seasoning, to taste. Stuff the mushroom caps with the mixture and lightly top with bread crumbs. Brush the tops with melted butter or spray them with a nonstick spray or even a sprayable butter substitute to help the tops brown as they cook. Transfer to the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the filling is hot and melted. Remove and sprinkle a little chopped parsley over the tops.

Serve and enjoy!


Writer's Note:

Now I often watch what I eat and typically am conscientious of the ingredients I cook with.  Anytime you are considering a Queen Deen recipe you have to be prepared to trade any shred of being health conscious for the right to enjoy food full of amazing flavor.  I don't always agree with her often out of control over-use of fats, salt and sugar in seemingly every recipe, but as all cooks know, these are the things where flavor comes from.  Again, from time to time though just sit back and savor the flavor.  This is one of those dishes with plenty of it.

-JR

Editors Update 9-27-2011


I recently made this recipe again at home and thought the inclusion of some pictures may be helpful.  So enjoy.





Tip:  Remove the stems and gills prior to stuffing the mushrooms as the gills can sometimes be a little dirty and bitter and give your finished product an unpleasant aftertaste.





 The ingredients are ready to be combined. 











The stuffing is combined and ready to go into the mushroom caps.





The stuffed caps






Tip:  I often use less than the recomended portion of bread crumbs.  I don't want my bite to be overwhelmd by the bread crumbs and to take away from the stuffed mushrooms.  So typically I just sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top to give a nice light coating without overdoing it. 



The stuffed mushrooms go into the oven







And here is the finished product ready to come out of the oven and onto your plate!

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!

    ReplyDelete